Wednesday, August 19, 2009

August 18-Day 1 of vacation

We got everything packed up the night before. I was expecting to leave pretty early. Since I had stayed up all day I was pooped by about 8pm. So, I think I went to bed around 8:30pm. Justin however, wasn’t able to sleep. He said he took a 2 hr nap. When I got up around 5:30 am we decided to load up and head out.08182009-01

We hit Cracker Barrell in Park City first. Then we were in route to Estes Park at about 6:30 am. The drive thru western Kansas and eastern Colorado was as boring as expected. Once we hit Denver, at around 1:30pm, it started pouring on us. We made our way thru Denver in the rain. Then as we got close to Estes Park, as we were driving thru Big Thompson Canyon, it started raining again. The scenery was beautiful. Large rock formations.

We pull into Estes Park. It wasn’t as busy as I was expecting. I think most families have already had their vacation for the summer and are getting their kids back in school. We found our cabin 3 ½ miles east of town, right on the Big Thomson River (or creek as I would call it). Our cabin is in a small valley between two large mountains. There are tons of trees. Our cabin has a balcony that is right over the “river”. It is also much larger than I expected, however, they didn’t advertise that it is 10 ft off the road that goes into Estes.

Our first night, Justin and I went into town to check out some shops and get dinner. We were doing some shopping, and going into all the candy shops. Then, I just got tired. We decided to eat and go home. We went home and were in bed by 9:00.08182009-02 08182009-03 08182009-04

We don’t have any wireless service here, on our cell phones or our laptop. I will try to write my blog up at night, but I probably won’t be able to publish it till the next morning. Today, I got up around 6am. I decided to go outside onto our deck to enjoy the morning, the “river”, and the great outdoors. However, I mostly get traffic and it’s freaking cold out.08192009-01 08192009-02

Today we don’t have any real plans for the morning. We go horseback riding at 1:30 for 2 hrs. Hopefully we will be able to walk tomorrow.

No comments: