Saturday, October 17, 2015

Getting Ready for Race Day

So, we made it into Moab Thursday night after a 14 hour car ride.  It is hard to travel when you are hydrating for a half marathon.  We made at least 6 potty stops.

MoabSunriseFriday, Barb and I got up early and did a short walk.  We walked to the main street and got some coffee and went back home. After a yummy breakfast at Sweet Cravings Bakery and Bistro, we headed to Canyonlands National Park to check out some touristy sights.  I’m not a fan of the touristy stuff cuz I’d rather stay away from people when I travel, but we didn’t want any long hikes so we don’t get injured or tired.  Canyonlands-6We saw some really pretty places in the park.  It made me wish I had never sold my truck cuz there were some really great jeep roads that were mostly just off road roads, that the Tacoma could have handled.  It also gets you away from the crowds and down into the canyon to see things.  We mostly stayed up high and looked over the canyons which was really beautiful also.  You can see more photos at my public Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/lifeinfocus515.   We came back into town and got ready for dinner.  We went to this really fancy smancy place called Jeffery’s.  It is a steakhouse.  It kinda reminded me of the old Scotch and Sirloin before it moved into that big place on Kellogg.  It was a very small place.  I got a tenderloin steak which was perfect.  Of course, I got a dessert.  It was a chocolate cake that tasted like a mix between a chocolate brownie, home made hot chocolate, and chocolate mousse.  After dinner, we spent a little time walking around town before calling it a night.

Today, we went and had breakfast at the Jailhouse Café.  It is in the old courthouse and jail for the county.  Its been mostly cloudy today and it sprinkled a little bit at breakfast.  We decided to go check out the race course.  It is a little ways out of town.  They are shutting down the whole road for our race for 5 hours tomorrow.  The road is a curvy road that runs along the Colorado River.  It is going to be a beautiful run.  I may forget all about the fact that I’m injured and haven’t put in a lot of miles up to race day, cuz I’ll be distracted by the beautiful scenery.  I don’t have any cell service on the run, but I will be taking plenty of cell pics and video.  There is a 3 1/2 hour time limit on the course, so I’m gonna just give it my best shot.Racegear My hip is been bothering me all week so it doesn’t seem to be getting better with the fact that I’ve been resting it for a few days.  After we checked out the course, we went downtown to pick up our race day packets and check out the expo.  They had a lot of Other Half shirts on sale so I got  a lot of stuff for cheap.  So, I have my bib and race swag so I guess its official.  I am gonna put my phone on airplane mode tomorrow when I run so I can get as much battery out of it as I can for pics.  So, I won’t be able to get any text messages or anything while I run.  The rest of the day we are just being lazy.  We have the pasta dinner tonight with all the runners.

No comments: