Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Rafting - Colorado River

So Barb and David finally got home last night around 5pm.  They had hike 6.6 miles up and over a canyon (2000 vertical feet). So, I am very happy that I did not go with them.  We decided to do steak for dinner so we had the Broken Oar.  It was OK.  After that we went to Crystals Cakes and Cones for ice cream and cup cakes. I got a red velvet cup cake. I took it back to the house and enjoyed my cup cake with a glass of wine on David's back patio.  The sun had gone down and it was a cool 90 degrees.  It is actually cool in the shade here.

So today, Wednesday, is our last day in town.  We met up with some of David's friends Jacques and Jeff.  Jacques has his own raft. We loaded it up and headed to the Colorado River to go rafting.  This raft was not like any that I've ever done before.  It has one seat for the one person who does all the rowing. 
And the rowing is backwards than anything I've ever rowed before.  You put the oars in the water and push to go forward and pull to put the oars back in the water.  It was hard to get used to.  I only actually rowed on about a mile area that was rapid free.  There were about 3 areas that had decent rapids.  Jacques said they were probably class 2's.  It was mostly a leisurely trip.   A few scary moments when even Jacques said "oh crap".  I figure that's not a good sign.  A week prior, David, Jacques and Jeff had taken the raft out and tipped it on the last set of rapids.  They said they had to float about 1 mile down river before they could get the raft tipped back over.  The trip was about 11 miles and took us about 2 hrs.  The water was moving pretty fast.  They said it normally takes about 3 hrs.

After our rafting trip, we went back to the house and cleaned up.  Then we met David's friends from the Sierra Club for dinner at the Moab Brewery.  Mostly it consists of a bunch of old retired guys. After dinner we took a short walk down town so Barb could get some souvenirs for her family.  I decided no one gets shit this trip.  I want to spend all the money on myself. We ran into the nice older couple from North Carolina that did the repelling with us on Monday.  I think we talked them into eating at Jeffery's which is the best steakhouse in town.  We didn't go this trip because we were trying to spend a little less money, but it is definitely the best place in town.

So, our trip has come to an end.  I love this place and all it has to offer.  If I weren't 2 years from being vested at work, I would move here in a heartbeat.  Who knows, if the opportunity presents itself, I may say screw my retirement plan.  We are all packed up and ready to head back to Wichita tomorrow.  We are going to try to make it in one trip.  Its about 13 hrs.  If you want to see all the pics from the trip you can go to Moab 2016 Photos 

No comments: