Saturday, October 11, 2008

End of Week 14 - EVOC

This was one of the best weeks so far. We spent Mon., Tues., and Fri. up in Hutchinson at the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center (KLETC). Monday we spend most of the day, in the rain, driving thru some slower courses. Working on our precision driving. We did a 90 deg turn at 35 MPH. We did a forward slalom course, then we had to do it backwards. It was actually easier backwards. Then we did a long back thru a tight course and then we had to back into a "garage". I did very well on the first day. I knocked down my share of cones, but made all the courses in the required times. We did get to work on a few parts of the qualifying course on Monday. We worked on zone 2 first. This includes a slalom, a Y back (driving in a garage and backing up), gates (basically another slalom type course), then forward into a garage. I loved the slalom course. It was still pretty wet when we did it so it made it twice as fun. Next we got to work zone 1, which is the beginning of the course. Basically, you have some cones you have to go thru at at least 40 MPH. Then when you are halfway thru they would say left or right and you would make an evasive maneuver thru some more cones. Also, another one of my favorite parts cuz you get to go fast. Then you drive into a garage and back into another garage. Then you pull out into an S turn. We were at KLETC from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. on the first day.

On Tuesday, we were at KLETC from 10 a.m. till 10:30 p.m. We started the morning by putting zones 1 & 2 together. Then we started on zones 4 & 5. This includes an S backup into a long, fast back up and immediately into a garage. Then you pull out of the garage into a serpentine (S curves with cones on each side). Then you speed ahead into another garage. Then a 90 deg back up into another garage. Then you pull out of there and head for a stop sign. Then, you pull out of there and weave thru some more cones to the finish. In order to qualify you have to do all that in 3 min. One Tues. I didn't have any trouble with times and most of my runs were clean.

Then that night we got to do some night driving thru the course. The first run was with normal headlights. The second run was with brights on. During this run the instructor in the car asked questions to try to stress me out. Then, the last run was with lights and sirens. During this run the instructor is yelling about an officer in trouble. Some instructors got more animated than others. My instructor was pretty calm. That was my best run all day. Also, while we were out at KLETC we got to eat in their cafeteria for free. I felt like I was back in college. The food was actually pretty good.

On Wednesday, I did a ride along. I was out west for this 2nd shift (11 a.m. - 9 p.m.) ride. It wasn't very eventful. We did get in a chase. It was low speed thru a residential area. The guy just drove an extra 3 blocks just to park in his driveway. Then I had Thursday off. That was really nice. I pretty much did nothing.

Friday we were back out at KLETC to qualify on the course. We had to be there by 9:30 a.m. We weren't sure how long we would be there. It just depended on how long it took everyone to qualify. The morning went really well and everyone from WPD qualified on their first run. I was up first after lunch. My first practice run was pretty clean except for I overshot the garage on the long back and I had to make a correction. I still made it in 2:40. My second practice run again was good except I screwed up the 90 deg back and had to pull forward and back up again. I did that one in 2:45. My qualifying run went really well. Again, I screwed up the 90 deg garage (something I hadn't screwed up once on Tues). I did qualify on my first run with a time of 2:50. We ended up getting done by 3:30 p.m.

Since we were done early, I went with Justin into Hutchinson (he lives there). We decided this would be a good time for me to meet his daughter. We picked her up from school and took her to dinner. She is pretty awesome. She reminds me of me when I was that age. Then we took her to see Beverly Hills Chihuahua. Today I did pretty much nothing. Tomorrow, we were voluntold to do the Walk for Unity. I convinced Justin to bring Paige into Wichita and they could walk it with me. I think most of our PD class will be there.

As for next week, we are back at the academy. For all your entertainment, Monday I get pepper sprayed. If my eyes aren't swollen shut I will blog about it Monday night. Please have me in your thoughts because I hear it isn't a great time.

No comments: