Saturday, June 28, 2008

Last few days

So, Friday I had my orientation for the Wichita PD. I was so nervous. I think the thing that scares me the most is that I am just afraid of doing anything that would get me yelled at or singled out. That morning, we already had one guy show up late. He was picked on all day and it seemed like everyone knew that we had someone show up late already. Then we had a guy come back from lunch late. They didn't pick on him as much but I am sure he already had a black mark in the instructors book. We were sitting in the classroom and the instructor walks in and yells "class rise"...scared the shit out of me. Then, I was standing there and all the guys looked like they were all standing at attention. I wasn't sure what to do with myself. Then he says good morning and we all answer with a weak ass good morning...then we get the discussion about saying sir and using our police voice. My police voice...very funny. I feel more like that little girl from the movie "Police Academy". I guess I'll learn to get that too. The discipline the class teaches is definitely going to be hard for me. We have to say sir and ma'am to everyone...I'm not used to that. We have to walk in single file lines along the right side of the hallway and not speak. I feel like I am back in 1st grade lining up for lunch. This should be interesting. We got fitting for a bunch of clothes and supplies. I didn't know ordering my duty belt would end me in a 10 min discussion about being left or right handed. I didn't think I would have to worry about deciding that until our first day at the range. I guess it matters for ordering the belt. Had our pictures taken for our PD ID. Got a short tour of the city building. Rec'd my blues for the class. They are super sexy, let me tell ya. Ordered all my PT gear. Did a trigger pull test...I have to do hand exercises. No push-ups today, but it sounds like July 7th is going to kick our asses. I'm sure I'll let you know how my first day goes. I have this next week off to prepare myself for the rest of my life...basically.

So, on to today. Cherie and I played VB in KC today. It was cloudy and a little rainy in the morning. We had 5 teams in our pool. We ended up going 7-1 in our pool. That put us 1st out of our pool. Then we breezed thru the next 4 games to win the tournament. I'm telling you, boot camp is really paying off. Too bad, now that I am in the best shape of my life, I can't play VB anymore because of the academy. So, our overall record was 15-1. We won $80. It was a pretty awesome day.

No comments: