Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Polygraph

Today I had my polygraph. That was one of the most stressful things I have ever done. I don’t think it matters if you are the most honest person alive, it will still rattle you. I know I didn’t have anything to hide or lie about, but you start to psych yourself out. You think…well, what about this or that. I was sitting there with those things around my chest and I could just feel my heart thumping against them. My ears were buzzing. I can’t imagine how people can be calm when hooked up to that thing. I did pass. So, my next step is the Oral Boards….again. This will be with a panel of 3 commissioned officers and 1 civilian. It is a little different than the SO boards. They score you based on 9 categories. He rattled some off, but I don’t remember too many. Basically, everyone comes in ranked at a 5 in each category. As you answer questions, your score goes up or down based on your answers. He said I have to have a 5 in each category to pass. I will know as soon as it is over if I passed or not. The next step after passing oral boards is the command staff interview. That is the one I am dreading most. I tend to get a little nervous and intimidated around people of high authority. That interview will be with the Chief himself and a few other high ranking officers. The guy that did my polygraph today said that they are planning on having a big class in July. They are looking at 30-35 people. That is mainly because they are anticipating the creating of the new Central substation. This will add 93 new officers to the roster. I’ll let you know when they schedule my oral boards. It will probably be the week after my surgery.

1 comment:

Larry & Lynn - Home Is Where We Park It!!! said...

You are your father's daughter. Psyching yourself out is something he would do too. He says your ears ringing means your blood pressure is up. Remember, people of authority started out at your level at one time and some of them aren't as bright as you are either. Try not to picture them naked - that might make you giggle and a giggling officer would not be cool.