Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Physical Exam

Yesterday I had my physical exam for the WPD. It was pretty interesting. I had to pee in a cup….then is when they treat you like you are a criminal. The waters off, you can’t wash your hand; you have to watch them pore your pee from the big container to the little one. Then, with my unwashed pee hand, I had to initial the little pee container. It was super. Then, I got to work with a physical therapist. She did some ergonomic testing. First was a grip test. It showed that I was 100% ambidextrous. I pulled the same number on both hands. Then, there was this peg board. It had pins, spacers, and washers. In 1 min. I had to build as many Pin/washer/spacer/washer things that I could. I think I built 9. It helps to be ambidextrous cuz I can use both hands. Then there was some squatting to make sure my knees worked. Then she wanted me to bend over and touch as far as I could. Once I flopped down with my palms to the floor she said….I don’t see that too often. Then I had to do some various pulling movements. I know I passed all that stuff because she showed me where I fit on the WPD scale. That was the hardest part of the day. Next was blood work…I was starving so I was glad to get that done soon. I brought a bag of chips to eat. Then I had my hearing tested. She said I have great hearing even though thru the whole thing all I could hear was the ringing in my ear. Then, I had to do a lung capacity test….blow real hard and keep blowing until your eyes pop out and you have slobbered down your face. I saw a Dr. for about 5 min. He did the usual ear, nose, lung, heart, hammer to the knees, and spine test. Then they x-rayed my back. Three different x-rays. The first time they came back bad so they had to do them again. Then I did the treadmill test. They hooked up 10 electrodes to my chest to monitor my heart. They said I had to get my heart rate above 160 for 1 min. I knew that wasn’t going to be a problem. The treadmill started at a nice slow walk at a huge incline. Then it inclined some more and went a little faster. I never got to a run just a brisk walk at a steep incline. The test took 8 minutes to finish. I never broke a sweat or even breathed hard. That was it. I was in and out in 2 hours (they weren’t that busy). So, I assume I’ll get a call by the end of the week from Det. Giffin about the results….or I’ll call her.

No comments: