Tuesday, December 6, 2011

December 4, 2011 – Day 1

Today we left Houston and headed to Galveston.  It was cloudy and rainy all morning, which is kinda how its been any time I have ever been to Galveston.  There was a lot of waiting around because we left the hotel early expecting some construction that, I guess, we had already went thru. No one had any trouble boarding, so that was good.

IMG_0037Once we got on the ship, we headed straight for the all you can eat buffet.  It was yummy, as expected, with lots of different choices.  After lunch, we decided to explore.  It was still cloudy, rainy and very windy.  We checked out the pool, the fitness center, and a few other neat places.  Then I separated from the group and went to the upper most front deck.  The weather was crap, so not so great for photos.

By this time, we were able to get into our rooms.  IMG_0061Since I had changed my travel partner the room plan had not been changed.  We had to get the single queen bed separated.  Of course, our stateroom attendant didn’t make that request very easy. Anyway, after we got unpacked, we headed down the the main promenade.  None of the shops were open, but they had a free champagne toast.

We had our dinner in the main hall.  I had prime rib.  It was yummy.  IMG_0073There weren’t too many good dessert choices, so I had a chocolate cherry cake.  It was OK.  After we stuffed ourselves, we headed to the opening show.  It was a comedy show, so that was fun.  Then we hit the karaoke bar.  We met up with some other Sedgwick County folks.  Tim and Nick each did a song.  Oddly enough, there were tons of people who wanted to sing, so it was pretty entertaining.  After karaoke, we found a dance club.  It must have still been early because there weren’t too many people there.  I decided to call it a night, cuz I was beat.

Like my last cruise out of Galveston, this one is pretty rough. I can definitely feel the waves.  I haven’t seen the weather reports to see how high the swells are, but they are definitely rocking the boat pretty good.  Tomorrow is a full day at sea.  We haven’t really planned it out, but there seems to be a lot going on.  I’ll probably hit the gym in the morning before breakfast.  Tomorrow night is our first formal dinner.  I’ve been looking forward to that.  I haven’t decided which dress I’ll wear, but since me and Sara have somehow picked out 2 dresses that are very similar (totally separately and without even knowing), we will have to coordinate that. Hopefully, if I have gotten this blog uploaded, I was able to upload all my photos to Picasa.  There should be a link from my blog.

No comments: